Friday, May 30, 2008

The Generations Are Coming Closer

I have 3 cousins (SA, S and A) and all of them have been 6-8 years younger to me. I some how always thought of them as kids, only to realize recenty that they are already in their late teens and early twenties. It wondered that this is almost the same feeling that I would have when Aryan will be 18 and I kind of had when Aryan celebrated his first birthday.

These little girls , may have never thought that I consider them almost like my kids , when we stayed tegther and discussed everything under the sun. I would help them with their studies and projects. They would come to me with their adoloscent doubts and I would tell them what I thought was good enough for them to know at that age. They used to talk to me about the boys (and girls ) in their class and when I laughed along with them , I also used to get surprised by how I already feel a generation gap between them and myself. I thought I knew too little of this and that when I was that young. I secretly worried about their well being and always tried to find out where they are heading.

I would somethings get too protective and sometimes too authorative unintentionally and would scold them like elders would do. I know that perhaps at those times they would have wondered why am I being so different. But they never argued and always obeyed.

I do not know why I am writing this today. Perhaps I just had a glimpse of how parents would feel when kids grow up to achieve something. Perhaps I realized today that I am getting old. Perhaps the generations are coming closer. Here is the blog of A , started recently. And I loved her work. And that is what initiated this flash back !

By the way , Do let me know , how is the new look of this page !

Editted to add :

14 comments:

Nirmal said...

swati it is very true.....kids nowadays grow up really fast...

waise sometimes i feel i m a kid...lol....
ok tat doesnt give u permission to scold me....lol..

and new look of ur blog is good and soothing..

Life Begins said...

The new look of your blog is soo soothing..i loved it.

And i like reading your posts..
I have the same feeling when i see my cousins...who were so younger to me till few years back and now they seem to be same age.

It feels as if i stopped growing and they joined me quickly.

Smokin Joe said...

Yup.. am a kid.. and I grew pretty fast.. ohh no.. sorry am 25.. i just forgot!
;-)

btw.. ilike this new page.. the old one was a bit dull.. this one goes really well with aryan's pic ;-)

Monika said...

Yesterday one of my cousins visited me. He is 12 years younger to me & I was calling him "Beta" unintentionally...lol. Not that I feel that old......it's just that even though he is 18, he will always be a kid for me.

Anchal said...

:)
But U were always like a friend and will always be.

Thanx for making my blog famous. :D

I like the new look..its very soothing to eyes.

Pixie said...

New look is very nice :-)
Loved the Header!

Mama - Mia said...

cool new look and all that! :D

yup things seem to change so quickly and with every geneeration the priorities seem to change so drastically!

and once you get married AND have a kid its not surprising to think you are all grown up despite the small age difference!

lovely post!

cheers!

abha

Solitaire said...

I know how that feels!! I feel these huge generation gap with my roommates who are 7 years younger to me! Man!

I am old. :(

Just Like That said...

6-8 shouldn't be that much of a difference. esp not for you:-D, you're such a kid yourself!
New look is cool, but would prefer a chirpier looking bird- this one somehow looks lonely, or am I imagining too much?

Anonymous said...

My thoughts exactly :-)
A cousin of mine got married recently. She is around 7-8 years younger to me. Now, I still am trying to come to terms with the fact that she is on her own now, managing an ENTIRE house as well as doing a 9to5 job! I mean she was soo kiddish just last year when I met her during my sister's wedding!! So, either she was more mature/responsible than she seemed to be or I am more protective than I should have been!Is this what they call generation gap? And if this is so, how would I feel for and react to my little baby who is full 29 years younger to me???

(Loved the new look! Did you yourself take this pic?)

Swati said...

Nirmal : You are also almost 8 years younger ...so I can scold you ;-) Thanks for dropping by!

Life Begins : Yeah it feels like i stopped growing and they joined me quickly.Thanks for dropping by!

SJ : you are too funny!

Monika : Exactly !Thanks for dropping by!

SS : you are welcome !

Mama Mia ,Soliatre, Puja : Thanks for identifying with my feelings

JLT : Thats a compliment Thanks !

Pixie and Everyone : Thanks for the compliments on the look !

Aryan-Arjun said...

Cool..I love this bird..
AM

PG said...

It looks beautiful, the new look.

WhatsInAName said...

New look is cute and sweet :)
BTW I am already feeling old. My girls have already started discussing crushes and boys :-S

Worried worried me lolol :)))