Thursday, April 10, 2008

Experimenting with Comfort Zone

Disclaimer : This is again a long(=boring) introspectory post. You can read it at your own discretion. Your views and advice are always welcome.

In 5 years of my career , I have worked in 2 well known and reputed companies.

I never wanted to switch from my previous company inspite of the fact that the culture in the company was not too great and there was too much of politics.I was not even paid too well. The reason I would give to myself was I was a respected employee , who was considered to be bright and was given quality work. I did switch since I had to shift to another city after marriage.

I have been in this company for past 3 years. This again is a BIG Brand. I have no issues with my manager. Life is cool and work is not too hectic. But then , there is hardly any growth. And yes, there is politics , which I understand well , but not good when it comes to applying it to use. But I still do not want to switch.

You may say there is no reason , but I feel that a stagnant career is enough reason for so many people. I know people , who shift jobs every once in an year. I don't believe in shifting jobs too often , but yes you should shift when you think there is a need. And yes, just to clarify , money is not a prime motivator for me for any of my decisions.

Then why I do not want to switch. Because though I like change , I am not always ready to come out of my comfort zone easily. I may readily accept a new challenging task in the same company , under the same manager but when it comes to a job shift , I feel uncomfortable to take the risk.

And this is not only with job. It goes with so many other things.Like my pair of sandals. I have more than half a dozen of footwear. But most of them are as new as they were at the showroom. Why , coz I am very comfortable with my simple flat sandals. I can walk easily with them , run if needed. So all the seven days of week , I wear them when I go out. Even on weekends , when I go in car , coz I fear that I will not be able to walk in my new slippers from parking to the shop or on the stairs :-P (Don't laugh ..I am not sick !!!) So till the sandals decide to abandon me I will stick to them. And this was the case with my previous pair of favourite footwear too.

And my handbag , which decided to abandon me last friday. I was using it for over an year now. For it was quite comfortable. Nice , easy yet safe pockets. When I need to travel in a local bus ,I need a backpocket to keep the change. Now I have not travelled in bus after I came to Bangalore with 1-2 exceptions , but you see I should always be ready for exceptions :-) So now the bag's zip stopped working and the handle is broken , I have no choice but to find another comfortable choice from my collection or from the market. Remember I told you once that I have a bag full of hand bags and I love them.

I dislike changing my shampoo and my mosturiser and even my comb. And I am quite loyal to the brands I use.

Comfort zone , as per Wikepedia, "denotes that limited set of behaviors that a person will engage without becoming anxious." So now that you know that I am quite an old fashioned, boring female, let me tell you that its not that I have never stepped out of my comfort zones. I do and I did when I felt that there is a desperate need.

But why this post today , coz I think its time for change , for a makeover. In so many things, from personal to professional. From footwear to job. From mobile to umbrealla. From IE to Firefox :-P I should change unless it becomes too monotonous. And no , this post is not even 1% inspired by husband or anyone else. Its truly an introspection. I think I should learn to experiment and come out of my comfort zone more often. I should do it for me and myself. As whenever I come out of my shell and do something different , I find myself evolving into a more confident person. I should also do it for Aryan , coz if I am not open to a change , I may mess up Aryan's life. Like Usha said , that we like change when its not too close to home. Aryan is a different generation and I need to open my mind and heart to accept the changes that come with another generation.

What do you have to say ?

13 comments:

Usha said...

What do I have to say? mm. That you are too young to confine yourself to a comfort zone - now is the time to have fun, to do foolish things and to experiment. So step out of the comfort zone and try out everything you want to before you are too old to enjoy any of those.
All the best! :)
Thanks for the mention.

Aryan-Arjun said...

So what do you plan dear??? Change job??? Or change your lifestyle??
You know what..there are many things that is very similar to my situation...reading your post...I feel even I should think about such things to get rid of boring life..
AM

PG said...

It was no ways a boring post. Infact fun to read. I like your thoughts. Especially those with Aryan. I guess the only aspect i have given thought to is also only about Rishab. He is growing up in a culture which is another extreme to India, maybe even more than any other place like the US. So, I guess it is going to be hard to find the limits I would want to put for him. I will let time take care of it. I hope it works.
Although, you have gone through enough changes already, professionally as wll as personaly. Moving to a new place, new husband, then most of all a child. But i like your thoughts.
Would like to know on what changes you decide. :)

Pixie said...

You got me thinking as well...
Am I adverse to change? Not really sure... I usually go with the flow, but now, I'm thinking whether I have resisted change closer to the heart - when it comes to lifestyle/shoes/clothes...
not really sure..
Job - I am so desperate now, I will change and won't be too afraid!

~nm said...

I think this is called emotional attachment to things but when it gets too much then I may not look at it positively.

Plus to some extent its a person's nature. I'm a total opposite here. Not that I don't have any emotional attachments with things, but I am the daring kinds. Always trying to do something which is beyond regular stuff.

So change it if you really want to. Its all upto you! As change can be fun but it can be a big pain too!!

divya said...

i hate change cos it takes away my security..and yet change is the only way to succeed

Swati said...

Usha : I think you are right.
AM : Change in lifestyle seems to be easier as of now ..coz job as other aspects to it, not mentioned in the post. So whats easier should be done first :-)
PG : Thank you. Yeah our kids need us to be iopen minded.
Pixie : Welcome back. How is all at home ? Hey since we think so alike , I wish to meet you someday ?
~nm : Hope you know that you inspire me in so many ways :)
Divya : EXACTLY !!! You hear me ! Thanks for dropping by

How do we know said...

i live in the same comfort zone.

Aryan-Arjun said...

Hi..Aryan.. is looking so so cute..in the picture..
Ok, I am planning for a short trip to Bangalore sometime by end of this month. I will be staying in Bannergahtta. IS your house somewhere near by??? Anyway can you send me a mail with details. May be we can meet..Rather both aryan's can meet...my ID is
subhasree3992@yahoo.com

Shikha said...

first time to your blog and i find just the post for me..only a week back i had to quit my first job after college..didnt want to at all,but had to..and now I am out of my comfort zone,but I am looking forward to new people and new places..change keeps your brain cells refreshed:)

WhatsInAName said...

Hugs Swati!
You are so much like me. I do not like moving out of my comfort zone either. Call me lazy if you want but the truth remains that I am too scared of changes. Conventional and monotonous! Sighs! Your post has made me sit back and think too!
BTW I felt soooo sooo good when you inquired about me :) Will tell you why I went missing again! Or maybe I will write about it :)

Pixie said...

I WOuld LOVE to meet you! :-)
Wouldn't that be awesome!!! :-)

Just Like That said...

hmmm... I think that now is the time you CAN afford to take risks. Soon, it'll be too late, there'll be so many more factors affecting your decisions.., and there might well be lesser options open to you.
But yes, being content with life does have its own plus points too.:-)