Friday, September 14, 2007

Language Problem

Our mother tongue is Hindi and I know no other language except Hindi and English. And that is what we use to communicate with Aryan , mostly Hindi and sometimes a little English. Aryan goes to a day care and the owner of the place and most of the maids over there are Tamilians. Some of the maids are Kannadica. So what should Aryan do ? At this age my little sweetheart has to listen 4 different languages. What does he pick ? Another problem is , if he picks a word in Hindi , the maids will not understand him and if he picks a word in Tamil , we won't understand.Anupam and I have been thinking about this from quite sometime and this has driven us nuts. How will Aryan learn to speak in such a situation ?

8 comments:

~nm said...

you talk to him in Hindi and let the maids in daycare talk to him in Kannadiga.

What I've read so far is that they learn to express themselves as situation demands. And in fact children who are exposed to more languages turn out to be smarter. I do not know the basis of this but I'm reiterating what I've read many a times!

Just Like That said...

Sonny boy's paediatrician comforted me when Sonny boy was late talking with this- apparently kids who are exposed to more languages are slower to speak... I like ~Nm's version better - that they turn out smarter. ;-)
Yeah, I have this problem too when looking at a full-time maid to stay with Sonny boy. No idea how to deeal with it while they are still babies.

WhatsInAName said...

Yes, Kids are smart. Dont worry. Its good that Aryan has a chance to learn so many languages at a tender age.

Swati said...

Ameen :)

Sodium said...

hehehe..

When Aryan tries to speak to u in Tamil, u tell him:

'Tamil kaunjo kooda tariyade' = I don't know even a bit of tamil

Sodium said...

Sometime I would like to observe that faculty of a child which tells him and when it begins to tell him that those two are DIFFERENT languages in the first place.

For such a small child learning everything afresh, all words are equally new irrespective of what category the advance human behavioural instinct has put them in.

If you discover, share it here.

Swati said...

Yes Sodium I know for him those are just words and he doesnot know whats a language. But then , is that not confusing to ask him for food in so many different ways.

I ask : "Khanna Khana hai" ,"Bhook Lagi Hai"
Care Taker says : "You want food" , Are you hungry?"
Maid asks : "Oota" or "Sapad"

This is just example. What is the right word from him to pick and how does he understand that everyone is asking for same thing.

Monika said...

i totally understand the situation... i am from delhi and my husband from andhra... so while me and my husband both talk to him in hindi/english, his granny talks to him in telegu and then his nanny is from bengal so she talks to him in bengali poor guy is totally confused :)