Monday, September 10, 2007

Apprehensive About Milestones

Aryan is almost one year and 2 months old.He is not yet walking.He pulls up to stand with support and moves a few steps with support , but he never attempts to move without support. Some say thats okay while others say he is late.

He speaks only 2 words clearly , which are Mumma and Papa. There are 2 more word like sounding noises ,"bahar" and "aaja". But only I claim them to be words.

I have spoken to his doctor about these issues and he said , we have nothing to worry as yet. So, why this post ? Am I worried at the back of my mind ? Am I apprehensive ?

I do not know if I should believe in Jyothish (astrology) or not. But quite recently my father's astrologer friend said Aryan will walk only when he will be 1.5 years old and talk when he is close to 2 years. Since I admit , that despite of having a logical mind , I do believe in astrology to some extent at the back of my mind , I should no longer be worried. Especially when both the doctor and astrologer speak similiar.

But probably I am even more worried now. One reason is the social pressure. Whoever calls these days , asks us with great confidence "Aryan must be walking now ?" and we have to say no. To which they will console us , "Oh that its ok" (Though they never sound convincing).
Now with 4 more months to go before he actually walks (as per the astrologer , if thats true), I am not prepared to address all those phone calls. Plus we have a vacation planned in November , when we will face all the relatives. I am not prepared to address and bear with their apprehensions about my son.Nor do I have any valid answer ready for them. I definitely do not want to say about the prediction , since even I am not fully convinced by that.

Another reason ofcourse is the fear of unknown.I do not trust astrology 100%. Doctor said nothing to worry as YET. Four months seems like four years to me.

Probably only time will answer my fears. Meanwhile , I can do nothing much about the apprehensions , both mine and of others.

6 comments:

~nm said...

I know this apprehension/anxiety very well. I faced this with his potty training thing.

And I know what you mean by "when we will face all the relatives".

I'm sure someone will stand by you and him to give you some comfort! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! I know how you feel. D had a birth trauma and at that time doc said nothing can be said about her cognitive skills before her 6 month evaluation. Only I know how I lived those 6 months.
I think boys speak and walk late, thats my observation with friends kids. And he is only 14 months, I wouldn't think you should worry. As per the doctor, take it easy for few more months. It will all turn out fine, don't be so harsh onto yourself..
-rbdans

timepass said...

Come on, cheer up..He will take his time to walk..And dont bother abt the relatives..people will always say the opposite of what they see..right?

Just Like That said...

Swati dear, don't worry, boys are later than girls to do stuff. Sonny boy was late with the turningover and the talking. Yeah, it is worrying, esp when you are faced with other kids who are much smarter, but all this will pass. Don't worry about the impending holiday, but look forward to it and enjoy it. Hugs.

WhatsInAName said...

Hey girl
Some kids take time. My elder one walked after 1 year and 3 months while my younger on started running at 10 months!
Each child is different. So, dont worry. You can wait till he is 2.

Swati said...

NM: I know who :)

rdbans : I know that wud have been scary.

timepass : No , I don't bother , but the trouble is you are supposed to answer the unknown.

JLT : Oh yes , I am still excited , apart from everything else.

WIAN : You bring me hope :) thanks.