Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Quite a Brat He Is !

Aryan is being quite a brat these days. His aggression leaves me dumbstuck.

You just don't do what he wants and he will cry out as crazy. That is still okay. What more is , he will hit me, scratch my face and pull my hair.

Shopping for my brother's wedding has been a horrible experience, especially on last two weekends. I understand that he gets bored and I do my best to keep him entertained but he is completely on non-cooperation movement. Last to last week I was shopping for him and I made him try a few dresses. So I gave him a benifit of doubt that he is angry for he has to try so many coats.

But last sunday , he tested my patience and I lost.
We were shopping for Hubby and I did everything to keep him entertained.But he pulled my hair , scratched my face , fought with all the kids in shop.I got so pissed off that I took him to the mother's room and let him cry for sometime , while I sat there. I know that was not the right thing to do but I did not know what to do.

At home also , he gets angry over small things and shows it by pulling my hair and hitting and scratching.

My policy is not to give in to his anger and divert him to something else. It works at times but not always.

Could anyone tell me whats going wrong.

3 comments:

PG said...

Swati, this is my first time here. I guess you know me still (or ask nm) :)
I know very well what you are going through. But believe me it is going to get better. It has already with my son Rishab , who is a little more than a year older than Aryan. I think you know why he is doing this. To get your attention. Like you said he is getting bored. But I feel it is also their frustration about wanting to do much but not being able to. I felt a big change in Rishab around the time when he started talking. Another thing: I think you did very well this sunday when youlet him cry. You did not scream at him, you did not hit him. You did not leave him alone. I don't think in such a situation (you were yourself frustrated-I know what it is like) you could have done anything better.
Rishab was around Aryans age when I read a book about parenting which impressed me a lot. The authour talked about the "emotional tank" of children. It sounds funny, but I think it is true for most situations. IF the tank is empty they do everything which is "wrong" in your opinion. These were the 4 things which help to kepp it "full", also for older children:
eye and physical contact, continuous (un-distracted) attention and discipline - the first three being most important, the last being the last resort.
Hope it was of some help.

Aryan-Arjun said...

Swathi..I very well understand. Even Aryan is very cranky and angry nowadays. IF I do something against his wish he cries and makes a fuss. He becomes unmanageable, cannot even hold him..Sometimes I leave him to cry, sometimes I give it away and sometimes I divert the attention..but this phase is difficult...I have written a post about it. JUst for a biscuit he cries and makes fuss..
Aryan's mom

Swati said...

pg : Ohh Yes , I know you very well. Thanks soooo much for visiting my blog. I desperately needed this piece of advice. All what you said is right di , but even at home he cries and fuss over very small things and thats when he already has all my attention. He just can't take a "No" to him. I hope this is just a phase. Worse is , I have already given a light slap to him twice and it really feels bad. Thanks again.

Aryan's Mom : Exactly ..he cries over very small things, I don't usually give up but I compromise sometimes. Lets see how it goes.