Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Happy Raksha Bandhan !!


Today is Raksha Bandhan, popularly called as Rakhi.Its widely celebrated in north india as a festival of love and bonding between brother and sister.

I have a younger brother and two cousins for whom I tie Rakhi.This day brings me such fond memories.When we were kids we would all assemble at my grandparents house on this day.Then my father's sister will tie Rakhi for him and other brothers and we would do the same for our brothers.It was fun to go seniority wise to tie rakhi to all the brothers.And more fun was fighting over the gifts.All the sisters were teased by the brothers for the gifts. My brothers would invariably tease me by giving 1 Ruppe coin as gift. To which I sometimes used to get angry.Later I started accepting it , since I knew the are teasing me ( and also that their parents would force them to give me the rest of the amount too ;-)..hehehhe) My brother , when he was too young , used to say that he did not mind tying me the rakhi , if I give him the gift..:D

Now I am married and far from my brothers.I really miss them and also the fun we had. I miss how they used to tease me over petty things and enjoyed to see me irritated and sometimes crying too.Now ,things are otherwise , we do send gifts for each other and insist on accepting the gifts :D

Life has moved on.Childhood is just some fond memories now.I don't get to meet my cousins in years.I get to meet my brother 1-2 times a year for 2-3 days. But my love for all of them remains unchanged.And so is theirs :D

Today morning , my brother called me in morning and said "I was tying rakhi that you sent , so I thought let me do it online(phone on speaker). Here I put Tika , now I tie Rakhi and now I give you gift..you got it na" ..hehehheh..he wanted to tease me , but I realised that he was missing me :-)

On this day , I just want to say , I miss and I love my brothers ..Happy Raksha Bandhan to all !!

4 comments:

Just Like That said...

Makes me wish we could tie rakhi onto sisters too.. Does that sound sacrilegious? :-D

Anonymous said...

Special Moments....Just missing them....

Swati said...

JLT : I dont mind ..will i get gifts ;-)..hahahha
Anon : Yes :)

WhatsInAName said...

awwww I am missing my bro too!!!
Sigh! :)
Belated rakhi to you!